Saturday, October 5, 2013

Public service announcement

I have been thinking lately about the various things that tie our community together. We live in an amazing age, when distance is nearly inconsequential, and we can connect really anywhere. Don't worry, this is not yet another blogger going on about social networking. We're all on Facebook or we're not. Whatever. We get it.

And while I love so very much the connections I have with individuals, I have been thinking specifically about the connections we have to the community as a whole. The sense that we are a culture of our own. I have been thinking about things like music and drumming and street festivals. How word of mouth is still word of mouth, in spite of all the internet options to talk and discuss, I still find many of my connections in traditional ways. So here is something I have found that helps me feel connected to a larger community. In case you're interested...

Spiral Rhythm has a new CD out called Rise Up, available on iTunes. I love Spiral Rhythm for making me feel like I'm connected to something bigger. Their songs soothe me and bring me right to a spiritual place. Some are drum-driven chants that roll through your blood and get you right in synch with the energy in the air. Others are more melodic and gentle. What I particularly love is the vocabulary of paganism that let's you feel at home and included in our somewhat private language. To me they have songs to match the seasons--their song "Bringing Change," to me sounds like a song perfect for the Yule season. And "Twilight Wood" feels like a Mabon song. Other songs, like "The Faith Inside," are just great sing-along tunes that can get you through difficult times. The whole album -- indeed, for me, the whole existence of Spiral Rhythm -- reinforces my beliefs and helps me feel connected. Listening to them reminds me I don't have to make my spiritual path alone.

Oh, and one more thing--even though I said this wouldn't be about Facebook, if you ARE on Facebook you should check out Moms on Brooms. She is awesome and for me has the right blend of spirituality and playfulness for a public page, with a mix of pop culture icons and truly spiritual offerings.

Ok. That is my public service announcement for today. Carry on...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jen, for the friendship and for the music and maybe for the music of friendship. I've been thinking about the connections we have to and I've been writing about them a bit. So once more, two great minds stepping on the same banana skin. :-) Love you bunches. You know it.

    ReplyDelete