Saturday, October 5, 2013

Mabon

You may remember that it was a year ago that I began this recommitment to the Craft. A friend and I -- she had been similarly disconnected from her own practice -- had a ritual in the yard, expressing our gratitude for all we had accomplished in the light times, honoring the change toward the dark times. This year I made a similar plan, and invited the usual crew.   I had planned to have a fire outside, and therefore had no altar set up. Unfortunately we had another night of rain. This is probably the rainiest year in a very long time in North Carolina, and as I prepared for this ritual, I read over this very blog. A surprising number of our rituals this year have been affected by rain. And sure enough, Mabon would be no different.

 So we moved it all inside, and prepared the fireplace for a fire.I had timed us so we would be at the height of the ritual at 7:15, when the sun set. We gathered briefly, and then formed the Circle in the room, leaving the space by the hearth open. We called Quarters simply, and I adapted the words of the Spiral Rhythm song, "Bringing Change," to highlight the Wheel's turn. Once the Quarters were called, we lit the fire.

I had prepared the space with paper and pens for everyone, and once the Quarters were called, we sat and wrote out a list of what we had each accomplished in recent months. A harvesting of sorts--the intentional and careful assessment of all we had done. We then took turns burning our lists in the fire, sending our gratitude and accomplishments into the spirit worlds, and building on those energies to continue blessing us.

I had placed a cauldron on the hearth with rubbing alcohol in it, and I lit a blue flame to represent the moon's light. We talked about our experiences and our personal lists while both the sun's fire and the moon's fire burned.

As we enter the dark times, I thought the animal oracle cards would add to the ritual. So we each pulled a card from the deck and were instructed to learn more about the animal in the coming weeks. 

I pulled Goose, which comes to us to navigate difficult times. At the time of the ritual, I had no idea what that meant. But Goose also brings a focus to our marital relationships. I had assumed this was the message for me because my marriage has been amazing lately. I made sure to honor that in my ritual as well. It is a couple weeks later as I write this, and I have been laid off from my job. Or at least given notice of the lay-off in a few months. And my husband has been remarkably supportive. In ways I wouldn't have even thought to ask for. The Goose energies are very much here with us--navigating difficult experiences together.

The rest of the ritual passed with the closing of the Circle and a light feast. As is the case with good friends who gather for ritual, we then talked for a long time. I love the feeling of talking late in to the evening with people you love and with whom you have an intimate, spiritual connection. Our household is preparing for Halloween and Samhain. I look forward to discovering what the Universe has in mind for our Samhain ritual...

No comments:

Post a Comment